If you know someone who fits the bill, send them this post!
Title: Senior Developer
Reports to: VP Engineering
About IP Street
Founded in 2009, IP Street develops and markets software to help corporations, law firms, and financial analysts better analyze patent-related information. We make IP data easy to get, use, and understand!
We’re a start-up that’s developed a new way to visualize and data-mine intellectual property. We’re small and scrappy, have an innovative engineering team, and have built the business on awesome products that companies buy!
Our technology stack is almost all open-source, with some nifty esoteric search technologies. Most of your work will be in Python and Django, in a Mac-based development environment, deploying to Linux. Other technologies include Celery, Postgres, Redis, and Solr. Our client-side code relies on Highcharts and Backbone, and supports desktop and mobile users.
This is “small b” big data, with lots of interesting challenges!
- Collaborate with others in product direction, priorities, and features
- Design, implement, and test new product (primarily but not exclusively server-side) features
- Some front-end coding and debugging, as needed
- Make the user experience as powerful, simple, and manifest as possible
- Be positive, flexible, and do what’s needed to move the company forward
- 10+ years experience in server-side development. Web development would be ideal, but it can be any kind of server-side code. We’re looking for expertise in processing pipelines or workflows, software farms, scaling, schema migration, etc. Or you’re a really smart person who loves complex software systems running on servers!
- Significant experience developing in Python or Python-based frameworks, on the order of at least 5 years or so. This must be serious development, not, “I write a 20-line script now and then.”
- Substantial experience in, and understanding of, a web framework such as Django. We’re looking for at least 3 years’ experience. Or if you don’t know Django, you’re eager to learn!
- Pluses: Significant coding experience interacting with (or experience in configuring) PostgreSQL, Solr, or another SQL or full-text search engine.
- Other pluses: Experience in or familiarity with jQuery, Backbone or equivalent technology, or client-side graphing packages. (These won’t be your focus, but the knowledge could come in handy.)
- Enthusiasm about modern approaches to software development, distributed version control, good coding and documentation practices, etc.
- You have excellent judgement in attacking complex tasks, and in balancing “good enough, now” vs. “much better, later”
- You’re self-sufficient when possible, and confident in setting standards
- You’re eager to build a small company into something insanely great!
- Excellent team and communication skills
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent in Computer Science or Software Engineering
Salary is DOE. Please send resume to john @ this-site’s-domain.