Song lyrics that travel with me, and are lost to time

Like everyone, I have some favorite songs.  Some of them are from a long time ago.

This is a snippet of a song lyric that I remember from my youth.  It’s a vocal refrain, sung by mail voices at the end of a rock song. (Possibly folk-rock, if you want to get particular.)  They repeated it a few times at the song’s end.  The time period was, I think, between 1970 and 1975:

Living in the city
Things can get too heavy
(Yes, they can, now)
You can lose the sound of your own voice
And you live out of key
And you cease to be free

For very personal reasons, this song meant a lot to me during a particularly rocky period of my life.

But now, I don’t remember the group, song title, or album title.  I’ve tried searching for the lyrics on the web, to no avail.

This song is lost to time.  Once, it kept me sane and helped save my life; now, in all likelihood I’ll never hear it again, nor acquire the full set of lyrics.

But the snippet that resonated most is still inside me.  I draw on it from time to time, when things feel surreal.

12 comments
  1. Jeff Carrick said:

It;s called Living in the City by Hookfoot on the album Good Times a’ Comin’
    The fourth line in your snippet is
    You forget the sound of your own voice.

• Joe Chapin said:

I can’t find Hookfoot’s “Living In The City” for download ANYwhere! If you could send me the url for the mp3 I would be very appreciative!

• Jeff Carrick said:

Trying to figure a way to communcate privately. I don’t want to post it publicly and get ASCAP, BMI, MPAA, or any of the DRM nazis on my case.
        I guess the quickest safe way would be to message me on face book with your email address, and I’ll send it. My profile pic in the search is a graphic of a brain.

2. John said:

@Jeff: Holy toledo! I’m going to search for that album now! You’re my new best friend!

Thank you!

3. Jeff Carrick said:

I have the song in a mp3. Email me and I’ll send you a link to it on my tripod site.

• Steve Silverstein said:

I loved that song too, in my undergrad years at U. Mass. Amherst. Can you please send me the link ? Thanks.

4. Jeff Carrick said:

Here’s a link I found on YouTube:

If you google pwn youtube, it will tell you how to download it as an MP4

• Jeff Carrick said:

Dead link! This one works as of 2012-08-18:

5. Joe Chapin said:

Anyone?

6. 2013…..another KSHE classic that touched someones soul, and another KSHE listener who listened when it was new and not yet a classic so many years agol.

7. Jake said:

ITS livin in the city by hookfoot